Monday, October 22, 2007

North of Auckland Harbour Bridge

OK, so this week we decided to head over the Harbour Bridge (because we always stay on this side) for a day out.

We had intended to go to Snow Planet, but were unsure if it was going to be suitable, especially at that price. We also intended to have a look at Auckland Luge, and do a bit of shopping. Bendon Outlets had half price of Bendon Sports Bra, and as my favourite fits that criteria, that was always going to be a stop.

We got to Snow Planet, and after going in to have a look, lots of discussion with various people, (and I even rung them the night before) we decided it probably was suitable for just playing around, it seemed a bit serious, all skiers and snowboarders. The kids were a little disappointed, but when we headed to the Luge they were happier. It was absolutely freezing, and unfortunately 1 of the sweatshirts had got wet on the way up there, so after much shuffling of clothes to get everyone warm we headed off for our turn.

A little different set up than Rotorua. You grab your luge, (we each took one kid the first time) get in line, get your ticket 'clicked' and head up the Travelator. This was seriously the most uncomfortableist thing I have been on! Get to the top, and choose 1 of 3 tracks, so we went with the Scenic route first, pretty good. You stay in your luge if you are going again, so we joined the queue again, Cameron jumped in one of his own this time, and we went again. We had 3 turns, then I let the others go again, while I took some video/photos.

Comparisons between the 2? A lot cheaper at Auckland, as you don't have to pay to go in the Gondola aswell, but price per ride is the same (actually cheaper inAuckland if you become a member). Tracks, probably about the same...... I felt the tracks in Rotorua were possibly a little steeper and more thrilling. Auckland has only been open a few weeks, so has some cosmetic work to be done, and could be great when finished. The ride back up, the points definately go to Rotorua on that one, sorry Auckland, very uncomfortable.

Then..... to soften the blow from missing out on Snow Planet we went to the GoCarts/Bumper Boats next door. Unfortunately the kids were too little to go by themselves, and too big to go with us, so we headed back towards town, intending to go shopping in Albany, but got completely lost, and after driving for a bit ended up at Wairau Park. We had a game of 10 Pin (and I won this time, for a change, we are big on 10 Pin, my hubby plays quite well), and I had a nosey at Spotlight.

We then headed to Botany, and we going to let the kids have a turn on the Bungy Tramp, but it wasn't operating that day, and they were a few minutes too late to make a Sand Picture at the Sand Wizard place, so we went to get some dinner, and tried Nando's for the first time. Cameron refused to order anything, Braden had a wrap, which was too hot for him, although he ate quite a bit of it. I thought it was OK there, but probably wouldn't go back, although if I did, I wouldn't order the burger with double chicken, the 'normal' would have been fine. It was quite expensive with what we got, but I think it was the sides that made it expensive ($3.70 for 2 half corn on cobs!!!)

After a wander around the Warehouse (which would have to be one of the messiest I've ever seen) we headed home, with 2 tired very kids (and 2 adults!) sleeping in late this morning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess my reply to your email about Snow Planet came too late? Sorry about that - we were away. I'm sure the atmosphere there is completely different on weekday mornings, which is the only time we've taken Tyler. Rob snowboards there in the evenings and it's "serious" but I've never been on a weekend to know what the place is like then.

I'm quite keen to try our new Luge, but will wait until it's been open for a few months and everything is working smoothly. Those travelator things look so weird! I guess without a gondola they can keep the prices down, so it's a toss-up, really.

Bummer about the Go-Karts! Perhaps next time your boys will be tall enough to go on their own. It's a lot of fun there.

Sounds like a really long day for you all!

Sharon said...

Interesting to hear about the luge - we have been thinking about trying it out. Personally, I hate heights so a travelator sounds better to me!!

Louise Williams said...

Sheeze, shows what I know.. it's only down the road and I didn't even realise the Luge had opened!! Looks like fun (and looks uncomfortable)... will have to get Steve to take Joshie down - I'll man the camera! :)

Penny said...

interesting! will have to bear that in mind.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about the luge, never tried any but reckon I might wanna give it a go now, looks very tight but still looks like fun too;p
Sorry to hear that not all turned out as planned. Some days just are like that.