Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I must do this!

OK, I have to do this, before I put it off any longer. I was waiting to finish a bit on a couple of pages, from our little get together at Debbies, so I could show those, but I keep forgetting to take photos, and then something comes up........ you know,........ so I'll just post now, and put the photos up later.

We, well, I can't speak for the others, but I had such a great time at Debbies, will definately plan to stay longer next time.

Not much exciting has been happening, just busy, Jon has been absolutely flat out at work, so trying to keep things going on the home front to make it all go a bit smoother.

We decided in the middle of last week we would head away for the weekend, so rented a friends bach at Whangamata (man, it's been 20 years since I've been there, I can't remember anything) and headed off there after work on Friday night. The kids didn't know anything about it, so got a nice surprise when we arrived just after 8pm, having stopped in Paeroa for dinner (the kids said 'Is this our surprise?')

We went for a wander around town on Saturday morning, had the most beautiful lunch at a place called Cafe Sandz (?), so if you are ever there I really recommend it, reasonably priced, quick and yummy food. Then we went to find the beach, and spent a couple of hours there, the weather wasn't the best, so we didn't swim, but the kids had fun. The waves were nothing like we've ever seen, great for boogie boarding and then it was home, and a siesta. We went up to the school to play cricket, home for dinner, and then a walk to the wharf, followed by a game of Trivial Pursuits.

We also bought a chess set, and taught ourselves to play, hopefully we've learned correctly, must find someone to check that with!

We headed into town to have a game of mini putt only to discover it wasn't open Sunday, which surprised us, as we thought they probably would have got lots of business. It was back to the beach where everyone had a swim as it was just unbelievably hot, before we nipped back to the bach to grab our food from the fridge and head home. Now, I feel like I need a holiday to recover!!

5 comments:

Beverley said...

What a neat way to surprise the kids - life should have more of those kinds of surprises. It's been about 20 years since I've been there too! I bet the shops and cafes have changed a bit in that time. I'm sure the beach is just as beautiful as I remember though!

Anonymous said...

It was so cool to finally meet you at Debbie's, and I agree that you should stay longer next time! :-)

You guys are cool parents, surprising the boys with a wee vacation! How awesome! Sounds like a nice break away.

Anonymous said...

How cool to do aomething unexpected like thay. I bet the boys had a blast!
Oh and I LOVE that part of New Zealand!

Penny said...

What a nice surpise!

Vicki said...

Sounds like a really fun time had by all.

Don't the days just fly by.