Sunday, June 03, 2007

Walking home





Thank you so much for all the lovely comments about my cake, I love making birthday cakes, and have done so since I was about 10, made my sisters ballerina doll cake (you know the one where you put the doll into the steam pudding bowl shaped cake).

My nephew loved the cake, and can be seen here doing his best Jack Sparrow impersonation.





Some exciting, but 'scary' (for me anyway) happenings in our house this last week. My 'babies' walked home from school, all the way. Because I finish work at 3 pm, and their school finishes at 2.55, even if I leave work on time, I am still 10 minutes late, and that's assuming I don't get held up. At 8 and a half, and nearly 7, we decided they should be able to cope with the walk home, and they proved us right. I went down and spied on them, and they were quite sensible. I had expected moans, because the oldest doesn't like exercise, but he seems quite keen to walk home, so that's a positive because it's some hidden exercise. This is Cameron walking home on day 2, because Braden had gone to a friends house, and yes, I did miss getting a photo of both of them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your nephew really loved that cake!!

I can understand you feeling a bit nervous about your boys walking home. I'll be the same, even though school is literally a couple of minutes' walk!! Luckily for us there is a walking school bus that meets on the corner of our road (about 3 houses down from our place) so Ethan will be able to join ... once he's all settled in at school, that is. Until then, I'll walk with him :-)
Sounds like your boys did great though!!

Anonymous said...

Big steps :)
Exciting and scary, both. Good on you for letting them go :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out my blog and your kind words!
My gosh that cake is so cool! My son saw it and said ' Woa is that a cake for real?'LOL the poor kid never got such cool cakes from me.

It's not easy to see our kids step out on their own is it? but you're doing so well!

Anonymous said...

wow he look pleased lol had a giggle at his impersonation. such a shame to cut it lol. Wow thats a big step for you and the boys. Sounds like they did well.

Tracy said...

Love the photo of the birthday boy and his cake!
Sounds like your boys are enjoying their new bit of independence!

Mel said...

That is awesome. My 12 year old walk 2kms home from school with a friend (I take her to school)such good exercise. Mr 7 hates walking but I walk with him after school (only 7 mins) - can't wait til he can do it by himself - though I suspect that might be a couple of years away.

Penny said...

yum yum.. I like making cakes too.

I used to get annoyed at Mum watching us walk home (from the top of the hill) from school but now I understand how it feels! LOL! Funny how our opinions change.

Sharon said...

Just wanted to thank you for your comment about the book - and let you know that you can get books printed right to the edge (like a real scrapbook). I hadn't made my layouts with a photo book in mind and some of my layouts had edge detail that I didn't want to risk having trimmed off in the book so that is why I had them printed like I did. I am keen to give the full bleed option a try though - maybe one of the boys will finally get a baby book!